You will find initial information and contacts on this website. For example, you can find out whether your travel will be paid for and what other kinds of support are available for people who return voluntarily. In particular, the website gives information on prospects and sources of advice in your home country.


Where do I start?

It’s sometimes difficult to know where to start when you have an important decision to make: you have so many questions going round in your head. It will help to write down all your questions and then to start grouping them together. What do you need to know first?
This website provides a range of information and links to more specialised websites. If you have further questions, information and advice is available in Germany.

Telephone hotline

A telephone hotline can help answer initial questions.
The hotline is staffed by the German Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF).

+49 911 9430
The hotline operates from Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 15:00.

Find a local counselling centre

Return counselling centres can advise you in person. You will find these centres all over Germany, usually in towns and cities. Use the search box on the next page to find your nearest centre: just type in the name of place in Germany where you are currently living

Search engine for counselling centres

Note: This website is available in several languages. You can select your preferred language by clicking the drop-down menu in the top right hand corner.

Travel support

You want to return to your country of origin, but have not enough money for buying a ticket? You can have your travel expenses paid by the International Organization for Migration (IOM). This applies also if you or a family member is ill and special provisions must be made for the flight.

You can moreover receive some cash for the journey and the first period following your return.

You can apply for additional financial support depending on your residence status.

Important note: to leave Germany, you will need authorisation to cross the German border. You can obtain this document from the Foreigners’ Registration Office (‘Ausländerbehörde’). To re-enter your home country, you will need a valid passport or other travel document.

It is best to get professional advice if you are interested in returning to your home country. You can also apply for takeover of the costs for your return journey at the advice centres. Of course you can do this also together with your family if they too are in Germany. Ask the advice centre about the programmes REAG/GARP and StarthilfePlus.

The following links provide more information:

Information on repatriation assistance programmes (REAG/GARP)
Information on start-up assistance for returnees (StarthilfePlus)
Search engine for counselling centres

Note: This website is available in several languages. You can select your preferred language by clicking the drop-down menu in the top right hand corner.

Opportunities in Ghana

Much has changed in Ghana over the past years. This brings with it challenges as well as various opportunities. Many people from Ghana have emigrated to other countries in their search for a successful future. Yet Ghana urgently needs qualified professionals and innovative thinkers. People with a university degree or vocational training qualification have good job prospects both in employment and self-employment for creating a successful future for themselves and their family.

You are in need of orientation and advice? You are asking yourself how to rebuild your life in Ghana after returning home? You want to find out about the requirements and conditions for successful and legal migration to Germany and other countries?

Visit our counselling centre! It will provide you with information and advice about the options available to you and your family.

Ghanaian-German Centre for Jobs Migration and Reintegration

You are seeking advice in Ghana? The Ghanaian-German Centre for Jobs Migration and Reintegration provides information about available programmes in Ghana. These include, for example, vocational training programmes, job application trainings and employment opportunities. We moreover provide advice should you be returning to Ghana and needing guidance in starting afresh in your country of origin. We closely collaborate with many partners.

Or are you interested in working in Germany? The counselling centre can also advise you whether you have a chance of working in Germany in the future. Have you already completed a vocational training or degree course? The counselling centre supports you in finding out whether and how you can have this qualification recognised in Germany.

Visit us or contact us by telephone, Facebook or email.

The counselling centre, „Ghanaian-German Centre for Jobs Migration and Reintegration“ on Facebook
Ghanaian-German Centre for Jobs, Migration and Reintegration
In The GNAT HEIGHTS Building
30 Independence Avenue,
+ 233 556 7585 16
+ 233 556 7585 18
Monday to Friday between 9:00 and 12:00 / 13:00 and 17:00

Job Search


You can also look for job vacancies on the following websites.


You want to venture into vocational training? Find out about the vocational training programmes offered by the National Vocational Training Institute (NVTI) and whether these programmes are of interest to you:

National Vocational Training Institute (NVTI)

Other vocational training programmes are available from the Opportunity Industrialization Centre (OIC), such as car mechanics and catering. The OIC training centres are located in Accra, Kumasi and Sekondi-Takoradi.

Opportunity Industrialization Centre (OIC)

The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) Ghana offers advanced training at training centres in Takoradi (for women only), Accra and Apedwa.

Ghana YMCA Technical Training Centres

Are you between 15 and 35 years of age and are interested in vocational training? The Youth Employment Agency offers courses on various topics, such as agriculture and afforestation, health, dressmaking and computer sciences.

Youth Employment Agency


You would like to establish your own business, for example, in agriculture? Ghana has public institutions that can support you in this.

National Entrepreneurship & Innovation Plan
National Service Scheme

You would like to establish a business and need additional funds? The Microfinance & Small Loans Centre (MASLOC) offers small loans.



You need health insurance? Find information on the National Health Insurance Scheme website:

National Health Insurance Scheme

You have suffered bad experiences and need psychological support? Professional advice and psychotherapy are available, for example, from RECFAM (Research & Counselling Foundation for African Migrants). Contact one of the offices in Ghana:

RECFAM (Research & Counselling Foundation for African Migrants)


One of the greatest challenges Ghanaians returning home from abroad face is the shipment of their belongings and clearance processes in Ghana’s main ports. MAC-Gh provides information about pre-shipment periods to enable you to prepare better for your return.

Ghana Trade Hub
Ghana Community Network Services (GCNet)